Top 10 Funnest Things for Families at NCMC Casino Beef Week
There’s more to the beef industry than the steak on your plate or the meat in your burger!
The beef capital of Australia comes alive for the NCMC Casino Beef Week festival celebration of this iconic Australian industry and the rural way of life. With 100 events over 11 days, the festival is entertainment, education and an authentic country experience for the whole family.
There’s no shortage of fun things to see and do. Here’s our Top 10 for families!
1. Pull up a hay bale in the main street of Casino to soak up all the action that makes Beef Week Saturday on 26 May.
Watch the cattle competitions and auctions filling the street as over 100 head of cattle line up in Casino's main street - the only place in Australia where you can see a country paddock in the CBD - and get a selfie with a bull downtown!
...plus you'll learn the ins and outs of what it takes to win the sash of ‘Champion Steer’.
2. Stroll through the kids’ alley filled with amusement rides, market stalls and live music. Stand back from the whip cracking comp, then check out all the smooth rides at the Show-n-Shine car show.
3. Enter the Junior Jillaroo and Jackaroo dress up competition to win cool prizes.
4. That will leave you just enough time to grab a bite to eat at the amazing food markets before lining the street to watch the famous and colourful Beef Week Achieve Street Parade starting at 1.45pm.
All this will keep you and the whole family entertained while gaining only the truest insight into a day in the life of a farmer in the beef industry.
5. The Crackup Sisters will be bringing the best country comedy, knockabout acrobatics, stunning stock whip cracking and antics, creating laughter and shenanigans at their homestead and windmill in the main street on Saturday 26th May at 9:30am, 10:30am and 12:30pm. These lively characters from Winton, Outback Queensland bring the stories of country Australia to life with comedy, larrikinism and a give-it-a-go attitude. They’ve featured at Calgary Stampede in Canada and have hosted the Big Red Bash and the Ekka Main Arena.
6. Don’t miss the free Richmond Dairies BBQ Breakfast with the Butchers on 25 May. Enjoy a free sausage or steak sandwich with chocolate or strawberry milk, rides and amusements, carnival games, live entertainment…
7. …a cow milking competition…
8. …and Cow Pat Lotto!
9. Kingy’s Pie Eating Contest on 26 May is free to enter (hey - free pies!)
10. The Beef Week themed obstacle fitness course on 27 May is for folks of all ages and abilities - a way to get the whole family out and active in an inspiring and vibrant atmosphere. North Coast Gymnastics provide designated area for the little ones with fun obstacles and it’s free for under 12s to enter. Bring family and friends to cheer you on!
11. Westlawn Rodeo is on 26 May with all sorts of rough riding events: the bull ride, saddle rides and bareback, steer wrestling, rope and tie and breakaway roping, barrel racing, calf riding, junior bull riding and a novice bull ride (phew!)
12. Beef Meets Reef family fun day on 20 May has markets, rides, dress ups, a parade, tug of war, car and bike displays, pig races, baby animals, camp oven cooking, live entertainment and lots more!
13. The Beef Week Scenic Bus Tour on 28 May will take you onto an old beef farm turned olive farm. With a property full of history, owners Don and Dorothy will transport your kids back to a long-gone era before technology with authentic tools and machinery from the early 1900’s.
14. Around town all week are dressed-up shopkeepers and dressed-up shop windows.